.

September 19, 2010

Koschei the Immortal

And I'm back at it - here's a new Character of the Week. Koschei the Immortal is a figure from Slavic mythology. He's kind of a Russian folk Voldemort - an immortal magician who could not die because he hid his soul away in a magical egg. There's a crazy story about his eventual death, involving princes and eagles and Baba Yaga and horrible dismemberments and buckets of water. Seriously, it's nuts.



I took a different approach from my previous Character-of-the-Weeks, starting with thumbnail illustrations rather than character design silhouettes. I went back to what I'd done with most of the figures in my seminar project - design through successive thumbnails rather than separate out the process of designing the character and composing the illustration. I also started out with a particular value and shadow structure in mind, rather than gradually working up to it. The result was a much more cohesive illustration, I think. Here's an overview of the process:



If you want to know how this guy sounds - in my head - you can click here. Skip to around 2:45. Nothing will make sense.

1 comment: